Workshops & Trainings
Kiev, Ukraine, 19 - 20 June 2018: Regional workshop on ecological classification of surface water bodies in EUWI+ pilot areas of Belarus, Ukraine and Moldova
Objectives and content of the workshop
The objective of the workshop is to provide support to the beneficiary countries in understanding and implementing the methodology of WFD compliant ecological classification.
The workshop is implemented in the context of Preparation of training plans and organization of hands-on trainings and training of trainers with regard to monitoring and laboratory analyses and to support laboratories for accreditation”. It aims at the contractors of the tenders about SWB delineation, representatives of authorities and experts on biological monitoring.
The workshop will:
- provide a set of documents (guidelines, presentations) to the participants of the workshop in order to facilitate the principal understanding of the WFD with special focus on the development of ecological status classification systems (ESCS),
- promote the understanding of the mutual interlinkage between ecological, chemical and hydro-morphological classification as well as other aspects of the WFD in order to establish a comprehensive set of tools for the implementation of the RBMP,
- enable the participants of the workshop to identify pros and cons of different methodological approaches in other countries and to initiate an iterative process of improving the existing national methods or develop new methods for the next RBMP,
- prepare for the surveys within the EUWI+ project by identifying the methodological requirements and prerequisites,
- strengthen the contacts, relations and co-operation between the experts of the countries and the EUWI project team from UBA and IOW.
To cater the specific needs of the EUWI+ partner countries, the workshop is held over 2 days and dedicated to the countries Belarus, Ukraine and Moldova. The workshop includes:
- a repetition of the principles of the WFD
- an overview of the requirements for a WFD compliant assessment method
- an overview of the status quo in the EUWI countries regarding assessment methods
- a joint discussion along with practical exercises in sub-groups on the different steps of ESCS: e.g. typology, pressures, field and laboratory work, metric calculation, including supporting elements (hydromorphology, physical and chemical parameters).
For English : https://mailchi.mp/fa3624db0dd5/ll0pv8dkaz
For Russian: https://mailchi.mp/b3c087e90415/ksipgleqm2
Preparation of River Basin Management Plans: from theory to practice. 11-12 June in lvano-Frankivsk and 14-15 June 2018 in Poltava, Ukraine
Two training seminars for the staff of regional and basin divisions of the State Agency for Water Resources on the implementation of the EU Water Framework Directive were organized by the APENA project with the participation of the EUWI+ project examined the practical aspects of the river basin management plan's development.
More information: Ukraine_Workshop RBMP_2018 June 11-15_APENA_en.pdf
Kiev, Ukraine, 24 - 25 may 2018: two-day regional workshop “Delineation of surface water bodies in the EUWI+ pilot area”
A two-day workshop “Delineation of surface water bodies in the EUWI+ pilot area” was held in Kiev (Ukraine) on May 24 - 25, 2018. The objective of the workshop was to provide support to the beneficiary countries in understanding and implementing the methodology for the delineation of surface water bodies (SWB) in selected pilot basins.
The workshop was implemented in the context of Activity 2.1.1 “Assessment of monitoring and laboratory infrastructure, capacities and needs”. It aimed in particular at the contractors of the tenders about SWB delineation in the 5 following EUWI+ countries: Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia, and Ukraine.
Experts from the Austrian Environmental Protection Agency (Umweltbundesamt) conducted theoretical training and provided the participants with the necessary methodological recommendations, shared their experience in carrying out similar work in the Danube basin countries, conducted practical exercises, and enabled them to better understand the theoretical material.
Participants from five countries provided brief information on the availability of the necessary data for the process of defining and delineating surface water bodies, and also demonstrated their experience in implementing water management projects with a main focus on typology, biological and hydromorphological data, as well as on pressures and impacts on water resources.
For English: https://mailchi.mp/455e628cb26c/zu1tvqaniv
For Russian: https://mailchi.mp/212c4da6c411/9fp5dag18g
For Ukrainian: https://mailchi.mp/03aad03bd362/swb-delineation-workshop
You can see the presentations here:
- Workshop on surface Water body delineation. Introduction
- Workshop on surface Water body delineation. Hydromorphology
- Workshop on surface Water body delineation. Physico-chemical parameters
- Workshop on surface Water body delineation. Tasks to be performed & deliverables
- Workshop on surface Water body delineation. Typology evaluation
Ukraine Workshop on laboratory basics and fundamentals of ISO Quality Management Standards (Kyiv 21-22 March 2018)
On March 21-22, 2018 the Workshop on basics (principles and terminology) of quality management of laboratories and requirements for laboratory accreditation (based on ISO 17025) will be held in Kyiv. Main topics of the workshop are clarification of the fundamentals of ISO 17025, clarification of the reference information for unified use and understanding of terms such as calibration, standards, work range, reference, validation, verification, statistics (ISO 17025 as umbrella).
This training will be useful for laboratory staff who are responsible for operating instruments as obtained knowledge will help them in introducing and implementing QA / QC principles in their daily work.
The workshop will be attended by the representatives from the State Agency of Water Resources, regional River basin authorities, Ukrainian Hydrometeorological Institute, Central Geophysical Observatory and Ukrainian Scientific Center of Ecology of the Sea.
For English: https://mailchi.mp/751337d4a202/m9qm8fef8l
For Urainian: https://mailchi.mp/0c67e07288be/2iz192buxn