Following the signing of the EU Association Agreement (fully ratified by Georgia, approved on 18 December 2014 by the EC and entered into force on 1 July 2016), Georgia foresees a period of 10 years in which to harmonize current legislation on water with the Water Framework Directive, in accordance with the following phasing:
1) harmonization of legislation;
2) monitoring and evaluation of the current situation;
3) classification of water bodies; and
4) preparation of the RBMP.
Support to preparation of the national Water Law is a priority for the NPD process in Georgia. The new Water Law will provide for water management on a river-basin basis with the Ministry of Environment and Natural Resources Protection as central competent authority.
- Basin characterisation
- Monitoring programme
- Development of water information system
- Work on Programme of Measures
- Public consultation and adoption of RBMP
- System of monitoring of the future implementation of the programme of measures of the formalised RBMPs
- Develop key pilot measures for programme of measures implementation related to EU Water Directives
- Strengthening of stakeholder involvement mechanisms for participative RBM Planning
- Development and support to implementation of a Communication Strategy
- Reviewed / revised GWB delineation and characterisation.
- Re-delineation of SWBs due to shift to WFD system B,
- SW Typology reviewed / revised.
- Revised guidelines to support further national implementation.
- Reviewed GW and SW risk assessment as basis for the programme of measures and the revision of monitoring networks
- Harmonisation improvement of Khrami-Debed and Alazani-Iori RBMPs on both side of the border (transboundary working groups).
- Based on the preliminary assessment, support the refinement of Chorokhi-Ajaristskali RBMP compliant with the WFD and its enlargement to coastal waters.
- Recommendations about strengthening data management, support to data management and valorisation (web service, process of data valorisation)
- Support the development of Alazani-Iori and Khrami-Debed RBMP with Programme of Measures compliant with the WFD.
- Updated and improved national guidelines to be in coherence with the Georgian context.
- Training program established and implemented for up-scaling pilot experience in the country.
- Public consultations on RBMPs and other relevant documentation linked to participative RBMPlanning conducted
- Training session and coaching on animation technics to conduct consultation workshops organised
- Guidelines on public participation in the relation with the WFD elaborated
- Dashboard (or other tool) for regular monitoring of Programme of Measures implementation
- Procedure guidelines
- PoM draft implementation report
- Selection of “soft” measures from supplementary measures of the Programme of Measures developed for the Chorokhi-Ajaristskali River Basin
- Identify the necessary conditions for the implementation of key measures in the Chorokhi-Ajaristskali RBMP and support for the implementation of selected measures.
- Draw some recommendations applicable to the other RBMPs.
- Development of practices and progressive institutionalisation of stakeholder involvement mechanisms for implementation of the EU water-related acquis, IWRM and MEAs
- Methodological and technical support for stakeholder involvement in River Basin Management Planning provided
- Communication strategy in place at basin, national and regional scale to efficiently support IWRM among main interested parties and up to the wide public
- Support implementation of communication activities in line with the strategy (RBC meetings, Awareness raising events,
- Information materials, Websites, Press-releases, Social media, E-learning, Workshops) at basin, national and regional scale
- External project communication assured and developed in synergy with the communication strategy implementation
- Mechanism for sharing information among project partners is developed (e.g. web based EUWIplusEast information exchange platform, online collaboration tools, etc)