Since 2010 UN has recognized that any human being has a right to have safe and clean drinking water that is vitally important. However, today, billions of people still live without safe water. Especially vulnerable groups are facing great problems: women, children, internally displaced persons and persons with disabilities.
The World Water Day is celebrated on March 22 and the slogan of 2019 is "Do not miss anybody”. This principle is the main promise of the 2030 agenda of sustainable development, which means that the benefits achieved through sustainable development should be equal to all people. For this purpose, it is important that the quality and needs of the water meet the needs of the vulnerable groups and their point of view is considered in the decision-making process.
Georgia celebrates World Water Day with various activities, with the fundamental linkage associated with sustainable development principles.
Information and consultation meeting with stakeholders
Development of Khrami-Debeda River Basin Management Plan
- Development of Khrami-Debida River Basin Management Plan
- Introduce the goals of the event
- Presentation of Khrami-Debeda river basin results, delineation of waterbodies and characterisation of the basin
- Water quality testing from the river Mashavera
- Presentation of pre-identified main issues
- Session of the participants / discussions on basic issues
- Presentation of the results
Conduct lecture-seminars on water quality issues, dissemination of informational-educational materials for students and vulnerable groups.
Main issues for lecture-seminars:
- River Khrami and River Debeda - Location and Geographical Review
- ● Climate
- ● Ichthyofauna
- ● Hydrological Characteristics
- ● Hydrogeneration
- ● Quality situation of water
- Dangers related to rivers
- Floods, freshets and other natural disasters
- Basic Pollutants
- Pollution diffuse sources
- The impact of plastic waste on the ecosystem of rivers
- Water quality
- Nutrition chain
- Universal provision of sustainable management of water and sanitary norms
- 6th goal of sustainable development
- Principle "Do not miss anybody”- definition
- Groups that face this problem in Georgia
- Planning events for these groups
Expected Results: Raising awareness of target groups about water quality, 6th goal of sustainable development and principle "Do not miss anybody”.