A workshop on economic analysis for River Basin Management Plan was organised on September 24, 2020, in cooperation with the European Union Water Initiative Plus and OSCE Project Coordinator in Ukraine. 57 participants attended the workshop, representing water stakeholders from the Dnipro and Don river basin districts (representatives from SAWR and BUVRs)
As Ukraine is aligning its water sector with European standards, ambitious environmental objectives are sought, and any social and economic compromises made should be justified through an economic analysis.
Main goals of the workshop:
- To present how to develop a chapter “Economic Analysis of Water Use” of RBMP; including description of current water use as a main component of water use and methodology of calculation of needs in water for key sectors of economy and examples of results of economic analysis of water use in Dnipro RBMP and preparation to conduction of economic analysis of Don river;
- To conduct practical exercises how step by step to complete all chapters of Economic analysis of water use.
- participants got introduced to the economic instruments of water resources management and correlation of volumes of water use and pressure in part of water pollution depending on economic development in the river basins.
- training on how to calculate prognosis of needs in water of main sectors of economy and social-economic weight of main water users
- recovery of costs, including costs related to environment and water resources
- exercises how to calculate coefficient of relevant contribution by main sectors of economy (water users)