The Danube Day has been celebrated since 2004 by all Danube countries raising public awareness on the river-related environmental issues.
Danube Day celebrations take place at the same moment as Joint Danube Survey activities in Kiliya (a big investigative monitoring survey from the source to the Danube Delta with involvement of 13 countries). Joint Danube Survey is an initiative of the International Commission for the Protection of Danube River (ICPDR), one of the several initiatives that supports transboundary cooperation in the Eastern Countries.
By participating in this event, EUWI+ support its Ukraine partner institutions and initiatives aiming at sharing best practices in transboundary cooperation.
EUWI+ takes part in several events organized during this day:
- high-level press-conference on new water monitoring to present results regarding water dialogues and RBMP development
- public outreach events to raise public awareness on upgraded national water monitoring in line with the EU Water Framework Directive and its operational tool- River Basin Management Plan.
- environmental quest for youth and live music performances.
-the Ministry of Ecology and Natural Resources of Ukraine jointly with Kiliya local authorities
-the State Agency of Water Resources of Ukraine,
- the EU project “European Union Water Initiative plus for Eastern Partnership”
- the EU-UNDP project “Improving Environmental Monitoring in the Black Sea: Selected Measures”